Summer Engineering Intern
- Type:Limited Term
- Salary/Pay Rate:$12 - $14/hour
- Posted Date:11/13/2017
- Deadline to Apply:12/29/2017 5:00 PM
HOURS AND SCHEDULE
Preferably 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week.
May – August 2018 (Dates based on Student Availability)
The purpose of the Village of Hoffman Estates engineering internship is to provide the student with real-life experience in the daily tasks of a field Civil Engineer. It is an opportunity for students to apply classroom learning in the field. During the internship, interns will be instructed and supervised by experienced civil engineers. Interns will become familiar with the basic concepts of fieldwork required with an annual municipal street project.
In addition to using basic civil engineering skills, interns will obtain practical experience that can be applied to any facet of engineering. The internship provides an opportunity for engineering candidates to practice their skills and build confidence as they prepare themselves for the work force.
While interning you will provide assistance to the Street Rehabilitation Manager and project team in all aspects of street and road construction of Village projects. Tasks include construction staking, layout, surveying, documentation, and other field or office duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The required competencies listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for successful job performance.
• Ability to interpret engineering plans and documents.
• Ability to learn construction processes, project specifications and requirements.
• Ability to work as part of a team to complete assigned tasks.
• Must possess a basic understanding of or have the ability to learn civil engineering principles related to street and road design and construction.
• Strong analytical, conceptual, communication and organizational skills.
• Field work may require some lifting up to 50 pounds.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide construction observation, surveying, inspection, and other related services for Village street construction projects to ensure contractor compliance with plans and specifications.
• Respond to inquires relative to engineering concerns or procedures for specific assigned projects.
• Learn to interpret engineering plans, project specifications, and related documents.
• Assists the Transportation and Engineering Division with other tasks as needed.
• Operates and properly maintains all tools and equipment needed to perform the essential job functions and responsibilities listed above while adhering to all safety rules and practices.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND COMPUTER SKILLS
• Two or more years of college coursework in related civil engineering or construction management field.
• Knowledge of survey principles or have taken a survey course preferred.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office required. Knowledge of with AutoCAD and ArcGIS a plus.
• Must hold a valid Illinois State Driver’s License.
For more detailed information please refer to the job description.
All positions require a Village-paid
background investigation and drug screen.
Submit a resume and/or a completed Employment application to:
Village of Hoffman Estates
Human Resources Management
1900 Hassell Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60169
e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Village of Hoffman Estates is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all applicable Federal, State and local laws regarding employment.
Because of the many submissions received, the Village is unable to contact all applicants. You will be contacted if you are chosen as an interview candidate for an open position.
Ways to Apply
All positions require a pre-employment Village-paid drug screen.
All employees must be at least 18 years of age.
The Village of Hoffman Estates is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws regarding employment.
The Village of Hoffman Estates offers rewarding employment opportunities in a wide variety of positions. Municipal government offers people the opportunity to serve the community as well as work in a professional and career fulfilling environment. Explore our employment opportunities often and consider working for a well-respected community.
The Village values employee diversity and offers an environment where shared goals, performance standards and a common vision of the future guide the efforts of every employee. Hiring, advancement and rewards depend solely on ability, performance and contribution to our organizational goals without regard to age, gender, race, ethnic origins, physical abilities, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or other perceived differences that do not relate to ability, performance and contribution at work.
The Village of Hoffman Estates Department of Human Resources Management accepts applications and resumes for all positions, except sworn police officers and firefighters, even when there are no current positions open for hiring.
Your application will be kept on file for six months and considered if a position becomes available that suits your qualifications. Because of the many submissions received, the Village is unable to contact all applicants. You will be contacted if you are chosen as an interview candidate for an open position.
Thank you for your interest in the Village of Hoffman Estates.